COME BUILD WITH US!
Our Mission and Our Call: Empowering Communities, Changing Lives.
If you're passionate about eliminating racism, empowering men, women and children and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all, we want you on our team!
The Urban League of West Michigan is the city's oldest and largest community-based movement devoted to empowering Blacks/African Americans. Founded in 1943, The Urban League is a multi-service, non-profit, impact organization, with a long established reputation and overarching goal of promoting social and economic stability among African-American families and others, as well as advocating and striving for the achievement of racial equity throughout Grand Rapids, Kent County, and West Michigan.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The Urban League of West Michigan is seeking a Violence Interrupter; a community conscious, action-oriented individual who is committed to helping transform the lives individuals and communities through violence prevention.
Violence interrupters engage with the community to serve as violence interrupters. The role provides conflict identification and mediation within a designated target community.
YOUR ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify and detect potentially violent people, groups, places, historic and current conflicts.
- Interrupt transmission of violence through:
- Engage and develop relationships with high risk individuals within assigned area
- Mediation of conflicts that are likely to result in violence
- Formulate action plans to resolve conflicts. and/or prevent retaliatory violence
- Response to emergent incidents
- Inform and train individuals and groups on specific strategies to bring about behavior change, to include:
- Participation in norm changing activities, including: community events, small group sessions, shooting responses, etc.
- Maintain and document all programmatic activities including completion of daily logs and conflict mediation forms within designated database.
- Attend and fully participate in daily briefings/debriefings, and weekly meetings as directed.
- High School diploma or GED is desired
- Four years of experience in youth development, violence prevention and case management preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with at-risk populations.
- No pending criminal cases or prior convictions for assault, child abuse, or domestic violence.
$35,000 - $40,000 annually
If you're passionate about eliminating violence, empowering men, women and children and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all, we want you on our team!
Please stop by or call the Urban League of West Michigan office to apply.
745 Eastern Ave SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507